GRADUATE APPLICATION PROCESS
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for admittance to a graduate program in music, please submit the following materials to the appropriate location by the listed deadlines:
- California State University Application deadline is March 2 for completing the university online application
San Diego State Graduate Admissions deadline is April 1 for submission of all supporting materials (2.a-2.c are submitted directly to the Graduate Admissions Office)
- a) Official transcripts
- b) GRE scores
- c) TOEFL test score (for applicants whose native language is not English)
ALL GRADUATE APPLICANTS: The School of Music and Dance deadline is April 1 for submission of all supporting materials listed in (a)-(d) below. The following must be submitted using the the School of Music and Dance online audition and application portal: click here to go to the online application.
- a) Resume
- b) Statement of objectives
- c) Two letters of reference
- d) MA Musicology/Ethnomusicology applicants: Research paper (10-12 pages)
MM/Artist Diploma Auditions: An in-person audition is required of all candidates except Global Composition candidates. Please see your respective area for audition repertoire. All students must complete the audition information and either schedule an on-campus audition (preferred) or upload video content.
- Application for Graduate Teaching Assistantship
- SDSU Graduate Admissions Website
- SDSU Graduate Bulletin
- International Student Information
- TOEFL Information
MA Ethnomusicology and Musicology Required Materials
The MA Program is not currently accepting applications for the Fall 2020 semester.
1) California State University Application, deadline is March 2 for completing online application
2) San Diego State Graduate Admissions, deadline is April 1 for submission of all supporting materials including official transcripts, GRE scores, TOEFL. GRE is not needed for the Artist Diploma (but TOEFL is always required).
3) School of Music and Dance, deadline is March 2 for submission of all supporting materials. Supporting materials must be submitted electronically using the School of Music and Dance online audition and application portal: click here to go to the online application.
5) Statement of objectives - Explain in one to two pages how you have been involved in music, why you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in ethnomusicology, and what topics in the field interest you
6) Two letters of recommendation from individuals who are in a position to comment on your potential to succeed in graduate work
7) Writing sample - You are required to submit a 10-12-page research paper. The paper should reflect exceptional skills in critical thinking, include references to appropriate literature (i.e., primary sources, or secondary sources written by recognized authorities), and demonstrate competence in basic writing skills (including spelling, grammar, organization, and citation formatting).
Required Performance Repertoire for MM and Artist Diploma Candidates
- Brass Instruments (euphonium, horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba) Repertoire
- Conducting Audition Process
- Composition Repertoire
- Jazz Studies Repertoire
- Percussion Repertoire
- Piano Repertoire
- Stringed Instruments (bass, cello, classical guitar, viola, violin) Repertoire
- Voice Repertoire
- Woodwind Instruments Repertoire
Saturday, February 8, 2020
Sunday, February 9, 2020
Saturday, February 15, 2020
Sunday, February 16, 2020