AUDITION REPERTOIRE REQUIREMENTS
Jazz Audition requirements for Junior Level (Transfer) Pianists
- Prepare and perform two pieces in contrasting tempos, keys, and styles from the Junior Level Repertoire List.
- Auditioning student will be expected to accurately perform the themes of the pieces he or she selects, and to improvise on those pieces.
- Sight read various excerpts from jazz band repertoire.
- Sight read and improvise over a set of chord changes.
- Perform the following scales in all keys, one and a half or two octaves (as determined by instrument range), in eight notes with the quarter note tempo at 100-120, hands together in parallel motion:
- Melodic Minor Mode (jazz form)
- Harmonic Minor Mode
- Lydian Mode
- Lydian Dominant Mode (a.k.a. Lydian flat 7)
Jazz faculty will provide bass line accompaniment in the bass register in the manner of a jazz bassist. Please have copies of your music in lead sheet form available for them in concert key.