Bands & Orchestra Auditions
You DO NOT have to be a music major to play in an ensemble at SDSU. Non-majors are ENCOURAGED to participate!
ALL Music Majors are required to take an audition
SDSU offers both auditioned and non-auditioned ensembles so that all levels of musicians can find a musical outlet during their time at SDSU. The Wind Symphony, Symphony Orchestra, and Jazz Ensemble all require auditions to participate in the ensembles. Auditions take place at the beginning of each semester for both the Fall and Spring semesters. All interested students are encouraged to audition for the ensembles. No auditions are required to participate in the CONCERT BAND, unless you are interested in playing a principal part in the ensemble. For further information on each group, visit the “ensembles” portion of this website.
*Learn more about auditioning for the Jazz Ensembles at SDSU.
*Learn more about joining the Marching Aztecs.
Audition Requirements - SPRING 2018
- Perform prescribed audition material. Most audition materials can be downloaded from the ensembles website (http://music.sdsu.edu/index.php/bands_orchestra/auditions). No material will be mailed. Follow the links on the website for specific information on requirements for each instrument.
- Perform sight-reading selection(s) chosen by audition panel.
*Non-music majors and non-music minors may elect to prepare a solo of their choice instead of the below excerpts. (ALL MUSIC MAJORS AND MINORS must prepare the excerpts below)*
Times & Locations
- Auditions will be held the first and second week of classes in the Music Building. Rooms and times are specified below.
- Auditions will occur in 5- to 10-minute increments, during a block of time for each section (brass, woodwinds, strings, percussion). Though we will do our best to stay on schedule, please plan your schedule accordingly in case auditions either move ahead or fall behind.
- Sign up for an available audition time via the below links. Be sure to visit the link specified for your instrument family.
Thurs., Jan. 18; 1:00-4:00pm
Music Building, Room 114
Mon., Jan. 22; 10:00-12:00pm
Music Building, Room 116
Wed., Jan. 17; 9:00-12:00pm
Music Building, Room 114
Wed., Jan. 17; 6:00-9:00pm
Music Building, Smith Recital Hall
Sign Up for an Audition
Click on the below links to sign-up for an audition slot. Each link is specific to each instrument family.
Brass - via Signup Genius
Woodwind - via Signup Genius
Percussion - via Signup Genius
Strings - via Signup Genius
Ensemble Rehearsal Times
Symphony Orchestra: M/W/F, 2:00-3:50pm
Chamber Orchestra: T/Th, 5:30-6:45pm
Wind Symphony: T/Th, 2:00-3:15pm
Symphonic Band: M/W/F, 1:00-1:50pm
Concert Band: T/Th, 7:00-8:15pm (NO audition required)
PLEASE NOTE that there is NO conflict between Orchestra and Wind Symphony. Strings rehearse alone on Fridays and wind/percussion players are permitted (and often encouraged) to participate in both ensembles.
(click your instrument to download a pdf of the audition material)
Non-music majors and non-music minors may elect to prepare a solo of their choice instead of the below excerpts. (ALL MUSIC MAJORS AND MINORS must prepare the excerpts below)
- Alto Saxophone
- Tenor Saxophone
- Bari Saxophone
- Bass Trombone
- Double Bass
Final Placement & First Rehearsals:
Ensemble assignments are posted on the call boards in the music building (outside of room 114)
Symphony Orchestra T.B.A
Chamber Orchestra T.B.A
Wind Symphony T.B.A
Symphonic Band T.B.A (bring instruments)
Concert Band T.B.A (No instruments)
For advice on auditioning, read more here.