What We Do
The art, the training, and the degree - they all come together in Dance at SDSU. This program has a 20-year history of distinquished choreography and technical training: we honor this tradition as we move forward as a leader in contemporary dance practices.
Philosophically, the program promotes contemporary dance as a medium that uniquely communicates meaning, emotion, and cultural values. It is a program that encourages students to rigorously investigate dance, to develop their imaginations and to create their own unique artistic voices. The faculty is deeply committed to the mentoring of students by providing individual attention and sharing their own knowledge and experience as active professionals deeply engaged in the art form.
Dance is a specialized area of the performing arts that demands a high level of physical rigor and awareness. We prepare students to critically examine the history, aesthetics and global context of dance and its relation to other art forms and contemporary issues. In addition to our performance and composition areas we believe that dance needs to lead in the use of emerging digital technologies and the creative process, unleashing students’ imaginations and providing them with skills necessary to realize them. We seek to develop an open and safe environment that encourages a deep sense of individual curiosity, exploration, and inquiry.
What We Offer
- Individual one-on-one mentoring of student dancers by the faculty
- Master classes and commissioned choreography with guest artists
- Creative instruction and integration of digital dance technologies in course work
- Instruction in the fields of body modalities, dance education, history, and production
- Pre-professional touring experience and exchange locally, regionally, and internationally
- An integrated curriculum taught by active professionals deeply engaged in the art form of dance
Where to Find Us
Click here to view a map of the school.
Watch Our Performance