Degree Learning Outcomes
Master of Music (M.M.) - Composition
Upon successful completion of the degree program, students will be able to:
- Develop a unique artistic trajectory and an original creative “voice.”
- Develop composition skills at a high level, utilizing informed stylistic choices and artistic expression.
- Develop competency in textual, harmonic, and formal score analysis.
- Compose original works for a variety of ensembles, ranging from classical, jazz, vernacular, electronic, and hybrid, according to the proclivities of the student.
- Learn basic intellectual property law with regard to copyright for original compositions, recordings and performances.
- Demonstrate knowledge of publication standards and practices for streaming media.
- Develop skills for concert preparation and production.
- Develop communication skills for public outreach, including press releases, concert and publication publicity.
- Demonstrate deep knowledge of repertoire studied during program.
- Demonstrate effective analytical and interpretative skills in music theory, musicology and/or performance practice.
- Communicate an advanced understanding and evaluation of musical knowledge and ideas in written and/or oral forms.